RetCAD was developed by Thirona in collaboration with the Radboud University Medical Centre in Nijmegen, the Netherlands. RetCAD is a class IIa CE-certified software product using Artificial Intelligence that analyses color fundus images for the presence of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and Diabetic Retinopathy (DR).
With today’s digital color fundus cameras, one or multiple images can be acquired from a patient within seconds and are presented on the operator’s computer screen. RetCAD will automatically start analysing any acquired color fundus image and provide the user with a score and heat map that indicate referable Age-related Macular Degeneration and/or Diabetic Retinopathy.
How does RetCAD work?
A client side application is installed that takes care of the following:
Automatic transfer of fundus images to Thirona servers via a secured Internet connection. The image data is anonymized before transfer.
Processing/analysis on the Thirona servers with RetCAD AI. This takes approximately 1 minute.
Results of the RetCAD software are sent back to the user and imported to the client application. The results can be accessed and viewed directly from within the application or online via the Thirona web application.
Benefits of RetCAD
● Instant identification of patients with signs of Age-related Macular Degeneration or Diabetic Retinopathy. These patients require follow-up by an eye-care specialist.
● Instant identification of patients with no signs of Age-related Macular Degeneration or Diabetic Retinopathy. These patient do not require follow-up and are advised to have an eye examination again in one or two years.
● Consistent and reproducible results irrespective of reader, workload or time of the day.
● Reduced workload for certified graders and eye-care specialists, which in return can spend more time on e.g. reading abnormal images.
● The performance of RetCAD is at the same level as trained certified graders.
RetCAD is a CE certified solution.
Trained with varied data
RetCAD has been trained with data from several populations and several color fundus camera's.
RetCAD white paper
Our RetCAD white paper describes the general principles of the RetCAD software, explains matters like the ROC curve, sensitivity specificity, threshold values and how to interpret the results.